People looking to switch gas suppliers in order to get cheap energy may also want to take the time to ensure their boilers are operating efficiently and safely.
Senior communications director at National Grid Sarah Harris said it is important that people contact the National Gas Emergency Service immediately if they smell gas in their property.
The organisation will then dispatch an engineer as a high priority to ensure a household is safe from carbon monoxide leaks.
Ms Harris added that one simple step everyone should take is to install an alarm in their home that can detect the poisonous gas, which the NHS states claims more than 50 lives every year.
"They are very cheap, you can just put them on the side and that will then go off if there is carbon monoxide leaking in your home," the expert explained.
She added individuals living in rented accommodation must ensure their landlord has a gas safety certificate to prove a boiler is working correctly, as this is a legal requirement.
If you want to find out more about switching energy suppliers and how you could save up to £389 in minutes, click here.
Share this story with your friends:-